Friday 4 December 2009

A castle by any other name


Trace: You know Jenny? Mum: Jenny Jenny? Trace: No, Microwave Jenny. She says the trick is to make them look real, but not too real, just real enough to know they're fake.


I love the movie The Castle. It's brilliant. It has to be one of the funniest movies ever made. The only time it ever dulled in its appeal was when Skip and my brother would quote it endlessly at family functions. Thankfully I think they're over this now (though I'm sure this post will prompt them to start it up over the festive season).

As another of my favourite funnymen (Homer Simpsom) would say: "It's funny, cause it's true". Earlier this week as I served Lil-lil up her dinner we had an exchange that went something like this: "What's this, Mum?" "Pasta." "How did you make it?" "Boiled it in the pot." "Delicious!"
I was half expecting to her to say: "Why would you go out when you get meals like this served up night after night?"

The quote at the top of the page is one of my favourites from the flick. Besides simply being a great line, I also love it cause it reminds me of one of my friends. This chick is hilarious, she also has the habit of giving everyone she knows a descriptive moniker. She knows a lot of people and each time we meet there's always stories about Scottish Ali, Cousin Kylie, Rude Robin, Kill-me-now-Neil, just to name a few. Most of the time these names have no meaning to me whatsoever, but they help distinguish who's who in the tales, besides making the story all that much funnier, even when the story isn't meant to be funny.

I have to say, I always thought that I had escaped being bestowed a name. I believed I was just 'Corinne', you know like Elvis or Cher or Madonna. It seems I was wrong. Recently I met a work friend of this girl (she's also a blog reader, so it was lovely to meet her), any way she said something like "I thought you must be Corinne from school" and then later she said something else along the lines of "I'll let her know I met Corinne from school". It then dawned on me, I have a name – I'm Corinne-from-school.

Of course, it could be worse I could be Wally-Corinne, Whore-features-Corinne or something like that. I guess I was kind of hoping I could be Classic Corinne or Drop-dead-gorgeous-Corinne. Can't win them all I suppose. It's better than when she calls me Carol.

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!

*Some names have been changed to protect the innocent

5 comments:

Thank you so much for your comments! I'm always thrilled to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...